Re: Refuting Coyote Wind Model

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 16:22:55 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:22:55 EST
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Refuting Coyote Wind Model

I can think of two obvious real world cases that might relate to what will
happen at Coyote.

1) Hotel in Aruba-
Is there anyway to quantify the wind shadow vs. hotel size? Does anyone know
how high or wide the hotel is vs. the wind shadow. Did windsurf operations
have to move down the beach and if so how far? It isn't exactly scientific
data but at least it is real world info. Maybe a testimonial from someone in
the industry in Aruba?

2) South tower of the Golden Gate
The tower is obviously taller, but is also much narrower than buildings
planned. Any of us who sail there know the shadow can extend at least a few
hundred yards downwind. Can we somehow measure or maybe get a testimonial from
a non-windsurf source like a sailing World Cup skipper (aren't there a couple
of teams locally) as to how far such a shadow extends and intensity? It seems
like the shadow is more intense on major wind days. Is that because we are on
very small gear then or does the % loss in velocity increase as overall
velocity increases?

The study also ignores turbulence. Any of us who sail close up under the
flight path know it is an issue. Wind downwind from the buildings should be
changing direction and swirling (backwinding) to some degree?

Is Coyote a resource for beginners who can safely sail near shore? If so is it
a unique resource in San Mateo County given that Candlestick may be lost to
the mega-mall, and can be nonuser friendly due to beer bottle throwing (glass
on launch), car vandalizing goons (when Jeff is not there).

Peter