Davis Pt. aka Lone Tree Regional Park Saturday

From: David R. Fielder (dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 02:26:04 PDT

Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 10:26:04 +0100
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: "David R. Fielder" <dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis>
Subject: Davis Pt. aka Lone Tree Regional Park Saturday

Tried Davis Pt. for first time yesterday. Had my old buddy with me , Oren,
now lost to L.A., who dotes on adding to his list of new sites as added
incentive. First problem was bringing wrong stack of windtalk responses
with us so halfway up I80 realized we didn't know exactly where to go.
Fortunately, Oren had paid more attention to the posts (plus his boat
sailing experience) and after a brief debate, we went back one exit to
Rodeo and drove down near water, asked for directions at local bait shop
from clueless attendant, and then spotted a gear-loaded pickup (John) which
we wisely followed right to the spot. I think if we had asked for Joseph's
Fishing Resort, we might have been told good directions (where you park).

Park has no real name sign, but does have only one large tree (the name,
dumby!), and a nice sandy beach. Bit of a walk from parking area to launch
200yds or so, but not bad. We could see what was meant about the marginal
types, but weren't too worried as parking lot seemed fairly well-travelled.

Hard part was the wind shadowed launch, which for me required about 100yd
swim before waterstart. But wind did build later. Then straight out into
head-on chop (major air, seldom on purpose) as wind builds until about
0.5-1 mile out (not sure of distances on water in new spot), it was really
howling. Interestingly, it got a bit flatter out there, but I pined for my
smaller gear and wound up staying sort of mid-way, as smaller gear might
have been very difficult for me to get out on, plus with current, newness,
distance from shore, and wind blowing to Valejo was very cautious regarding
return.

Our interesting episodes were me being caught not looking by Valejo ferry,
which came up really fast and quiet from downwind and only honked when
about 10 yds away (quick bail on my part, lesson learned). Oren had a
somewhat exciting swim for gear after a crash. All in all, not a great
place to sail alone. However, over the course of the two hours, at least
four others were sailing. I was told John may have run into something
crushing fin up into board, forcing limp home (successful). Other "locals"
said it was a lot like 3rd, but not so far out to channel/wind.

        David

 "Rig for the Moment" DRF's Statistics: 185 lbs/6'6"
                                             BIC Veloce 278 & 288 XLS
 USWA Member #US212 Windwings 6.7/5.8/4.9
 Berkeley-His Lordships
 Point Isabel & Wherever