Re: Boom Recommendations? + Mastbase Comment

From: Edward Wilson (ed.wilson@ibm.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 09:29:47 PDT

From: "Edward Wilson" <ed.wilson@ibm.net-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Cc: <dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Boom Recommendations? + Mastbase Comment
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:29:47 -0700

I just broke my 3rd Fibersnap on Tuesday at 3rd (5' boom, aluminum head with
red rubber piece and black lever, ~2-3 years old). Aluminum head broke as
always - rest of the boom is still in great shape.

Learned a new name for it - Fiberspare, since you need to carry a spare.

Also as usual, it broke on the port side, since that's where most of the
jumping happens. Made it easy to sail back in on the starboard side - I
didn't even detach the broken side, and planed a little.

I think I will never ever use a Carbon boom with an Aluminum head again.

About 2-3 years ago, I fixed the one I broke before this by attaching a
Chinook 90-degree head to the booms and it worked great for over a year
(Fiberspar says their booms have 87-degree heads - close enough for me). I
then got the one I received on warranty out of the closet and used it for
about 30 times until Tuesday when it broke. The "Fibernook" is now my
primary boom again until I repair the one that just broke.

In considering a replacement, the Al-head Fiberspar is not an option, but
the Carbon-head Fiberspar would probably be the best for me. I phoned
Fiberspar and they sell repair kits to retrofit the Carbon head for $109. I
think that's what I'll end up doing, since the rest of the boom is
near-perfect. I phoned ASD and they have some of these repair kits on order,
so I'll probably get it from them.

I don't consider myself hard on equipment. I weigh about 170, don't fall too
much, but do jump a lot.

Regarding the mast base, I highly recommend 2 bolts. I use Chinooks, but the
Streamlined ones look good too. 2 is always better than one when it's a
critical piece of equipment. One major downside I see to the Mistral
Powerbox fin system is that it's one bolt, so if the bolt breaks (like it
did on me last year), you lose your fin. For the mast base, there's no real
downside to 2 bolts other than marginally higher cost and a little more
effort in adjusting position.

Ed Wilson
3rd Ave
Brown Vanagon
Forsyth/Mistral, Naish/Ezzy

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:57:26 -0700
From: dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis (David R. Fielder)

Just broke third carbon boom in about as many years (just snapped at head
end, followed by tail end, but manuf is being accommodating, so no negative
comments). Was on "wrong" tack and far from home, so used derig/boom flip
and sailed home in harness with broken off half stashed in footstrap - it
worked!

Question is, what boom do larger guys (Justin?) use that seem to last
longer, particularly for 6.5-7.5 sails? Carbon vs. Aluminum and new carbon
front end comments? I use this boom about 50x per season in Berkeley chop,
mostly.

Also, does anyone have a 6ft boom for sale?

Final comment re yesterday's separated mastbase ordeal at Crissy. Seems
like everyone should use two bolt bases to avoid just that accident of
slipping out?

Thanks for any advice you can share...
                David