RE: Golf ball damage at 3rd Ave

From: Nick Rayner (Nick_Rayner@Trimble.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 15:49:51 PDT

From: Nick Rayner <Nick_Rayner@Trimble.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, "'prevett@nvidia.com-DeleteThis'" <prevett@nvidia.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Golf ball damage at 3rd Ave
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:49:51 -0700

Not that I'm supporting the rights of golfers to damage us and our gear,
but...

> Mr. Aliaga's position on this issue is not logical. He maintains that the
> car parking
> area was built after the driving range went in, and that this makes it OK
> for golf
> balls to go over the side fence.

He didn't say he thought the current situation was OK at all - he's unhappy
with it too. He just said that at the time the place was built they thought
the odd ball escaping would just end up in the weeds along the fence. I'm
not sure this makes much sense as presumably there was a good chance of
other development occurring along side at some stage.

> How could the City permit golf balls to be landing on that public access
> road?

I don't expect they will for much longer. Danger is that they remove our
access or parking rather than get the rate paying golf range to make the
nets taller.

> The driving range people need to increase the height of their fence.
> Period.

I agree, and you would have thought they would do it sooner rather than
later, especially given the cost of car repairs, and possibility of some
getting injured. I also suspect if it was a relatively easy job they would
have done it by now. Maybe the current poles aren't big enough to support
extra nets and they would have to start from scratch? It certainly is a pity
someone couldn't have better predicted this problem when the plans were
drawn up. The current situation is dangerous and costly, and isn't pleasing
anyone.

N.

Nick Rayner
mailto:nick_rayner@trimble.com-DeleteThis