RE: calibration of bay area sensors

From: David St. John (david@windcall.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 21:41:18 PDT

From: "David St. John" <david@windcall.com-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: calibration of bay area sensors
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:41:18 -0700

Thanks John, and thanks for all the sensor input from others (BobP!). We
place our sensors in the best possible place we can, which is not always the
best possible place for wind readings. In most cases, the sensors give a
pretty darn good reading of the actual wind on the water. In the cases
where they don't, we can adjust each direction point individually by a
linear factor. But the adjustment is linear, and the reading errors don't
always vary linearly. In any case, wind being what it is (crazy), you have
to take the sensor readings as an indication, not as an absolute. One of
the goals this season on our constantly-growing to-do list is to get sensor
correction information on the website for the sites where. Another is to
repackage some of the publicly available data (NWS, etc.) to the website,
and are looking into whether that's kosher with the disseminators of that
info.

If anyone else has sensor observations like Bob's, please pass them on to
Jim (jim@windcall.com-DeleteThis), Mike Godsey (windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis) or myself.

--
David St. John
Call of the Wind