Re: what size sails?

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 07:25:55 PDT

Sender: kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 07:25:55 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: what size sails?

When you are new to the sport, you need more sail than someone more
advanced. Then the experts like race sails and might sail a meter or
more higher so beware as race sails don't do well unless really powered.

Advanced 125lb people usually stop at 5.0 and sail 4.5 and 4.0 at Coyote
the most often. I'd start with a 4.5 as the first purchase.

For you, maybe look for a 4.5 and a 5.0 then get either the 4.0 and 5.5
as the conditions warrent. If the season is light wind, you might want
the 5.5 first.

Kirk out
ASD epoxy: 8'8" & 9' RKT & 9'6" no-nose CS, F2 Xantos285
Wt 230#, Ht. 6'0", Usually sail on SF Bay, Cailf.
kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis

http://www.suite101.com/topics/page.cfm/270
http://www.suite101.com/discussions/page.cfm/270