RE: EPIRB vs. VHF (followup)

From: David Veach (veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 13:27:06 PDT

From: David Veach <veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: EPIRB vs. VHF (followup)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:27:06 -0700

To all: thanks for the replies.

Here's my conclusions after much web research today (haven't got much work
done though <grin>)

EPIRB - No, it's just not practical. Class B (the cheap ones) operate on a
freq. that's full of non-emergency signals and you can bet that here in the
Bay Area there's a lot of "noise". (maybe so much so that the monitoring
stations don't even pay attention to signals generated here?) This system
was obviously designed for open ocean operation with satellites detecting
the signals and relaying the "hit" to ground stations which then rely on
the registration information to begin an "incident investigation" and
inform the coasties. They will call the phone number(s) on your registration
to try to determine if the vessel is actually "underway" and what the planned
course is, who's aboard, etc. Assuming you _could_ register yourself as a vessel
you could still easily go hypothermic before this process ever got help
to you. The web site Jim provided below sealed this for me.

VHF - Yes. I can confirm help is on the way. As Jim mentioned below, you can also
summon help from other sources. Several of the models I've researched seem to be
(claim to be) waterproof. As someone else mentioned, this may not mean submersible.
The Standard Communications HX255S (the one on sale at West) has a 3 year guarantee
that says "If your Horizon radio fails for any reason, including water damage, during
normal use in the first three years, Standard will repair or replace it free, without
hassle or charges - period." I like how this sounds, I just need to confirm that
windsurfing falls under "normal use". the ICOM M1 looks good too. Then there's the
Uniden 940, very compact and only $179. I'll have to get in to West to compare them
all side by side.

Now that I've decided on VHF, I'm really interested in what we, as the windsurfing
community, can come up with as a protocol for our needs. Things monitoring at the
launch site, picking a channel for "buddy" communications, etc.

Thanks again, -d