WS magazine editors

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@pathfinder.lbl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jan 25 1998 - 21:47:26 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: WS magazine editors
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:47:26 -0800
From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@pathfinder.lbl.gov-DeleteThis>

(This is long and boring and probably petty. I won't feel
bad if you don't read it. In fact, I won't even know.)

Has anybody other than me had bad experiences with the
editors of windsurfing magazines? And I wasn't even trying
to get stuff published.

On Nov. 6 I got this message from Drew Kampion:

> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:08:42 +0900
> To: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@Nersc.GOV-DeleteThis>
> From: indie@whidbey.net-DeleteThis (Drew Kampion)
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Otro Italiano
> Cc: WTRACKSHQ@aol.com-DeleteThis, bambugib@harborside.com-DeleteThis (Gib Cooper in Gold Beach, OR)
>
> Hello Luigi,

> I work for the American mag Wind Tracks, and our friend Gib
> Cooper forwarded your story, "A New Era," to us, and I
> wonder if you would allow us to run it in our magazine -- if
> you haven't already placed it (or intend to) in another
> windsurfing magazine. Please let me know; it's a good story!
>
> drew kampion
> editorial director

Of course I was pleased and told him so. I also asked him
to let me know how the copyright issues worked. Finally, I
explained that ``A New Era'' is not the title of the story,
only of the first section (the story is titled ``The Suburbs
of Paradise'').

It took a while to get this reply:

> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:50:22 +0900
> To: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@Nersc.GOV-DeleteThis>
> From: indie@whidbey.net-DeleteThis (Drew Kampion)
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Otro Italiano
> Cc: wtrackshq@aol.com-DeleteThis, cwredhed@harborside.com-DeleteThis
>
> Hi Luigi,
>
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> Yes, we'd like to use your story, A New Era, on our
> website. We could post it for, say, 3 months.
>
> I also may want to use the piece in Wind Tracks magazine,
> and if I do I will contaact you separately on that.
>
> There is no payment available for use on the website, but if
> we decide to use it in the mag, you will receive our normal
> payment (about 10 cents a word).
>
> Many thanks & may you walk on water!

OK, now I am a little annoyed. If he wanted the story for
the web site only, why didn't he say so right out. And is
he even reading my messages? This was my reply.

> To: indie@whidbey.net-DeleteThis (Drew Kampion)
> cc: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@Nersc.GOV-DeleteThis>, wtrackshq@aol.com-DeleteThis,
> cwredhed@harborside.com-DeleteThis
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Otro Italiano
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:36:41 -0800
> From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@nsun10.lbl.gov-DeleteThis>
>

> > Yes, we'd like to use your story, A New Era, on our
> > website. We could post it for, say, 3 months.
>
> First of all, a clarification. ``A New Era'' is the
> subtitle of a section of the story. I am repeatedly
> pointing this out because I don't know if you are interested
> in the whole story (titled ``The Suburbs of Paradise'') or
> simply that subsection. Can you clarify?
>
> > I also may want to use the piece in Wind Tracks magazine,
> > and if I do I will contaact you separately on that.
>
> This is not what I understood from your previous letter. I
> am interested in having the story published in your
> magazine, but not on your web site alone. I have my own web
> site and I can also send it to rec.windsurfing for a wider
> audience.
>
> If it helps, I can edit the story according your needs and
> preferences.
>
> Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. ---Luigi

I haven't heard back. I can't quite call this behavior
unethical, but it is below my minimal levels of courtesy.
Or am I being too picky? ---Luigi