Signing off

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jan 04 1998 - 15:49:09 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Signing off
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 15:49:09 -0800
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

Dear Wind Talk,

It's been a fun five years. I've gone from just barely water starting to
air-time, controlled landings, and jibing on swells out in the
channel. Unfortunately quality of life has not followed quality of
wind. So in a week my family and I are leaving Silicon Valley for the
less windy but much less crowded environment of Santa Barabara. My wife
is so happy to be moving back to Santa Barbara that she's agreed to let
me spend the money to get a light wind rig (SB winds are 10-12 kts in
the summer), but it just won't be the same as consistant 5.0 on the bay.

This move has required a change of employer (luckily not a compromise),
therefore I'll have to abandon my wind_talk archive on the web,
http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg/wind_talk.cgi. It is still there, but is
only current up to the beginning of December. I know that many of you
have found this archive useful, so I'd like to encourage someone else to
provide this resource since I believe that Ken cannot. I doubt that my
set up will work elsewhere, but would be happy to provide encouragement
and support for anyone who can provide disk and server. My tide chart
page, http://www.rahul.net/cgi-bin/stain/tide-charts.cgi, and the Third
Ave, http://www.rahul.net/stain/third/, will stay where they are for at
least another two months. Bob Colopy might take back over the Third Ave
page, which I had taken over from him, but if he doesn't I'll post to
this list.

Thanks for all the encouragement to keep maintaining these sites over
the years. When I haven't been able to get to the water they have given
me a way to work out my sailing jones. The occasional "thank you" email
has made it easier when time got short to keep things running. I hope
that someone else will have the resources to continue.

And thanks to Ken for this list! It helped me get up to speed on the
bay, and meet many of you out there.

Take care, all. I'll be reachable at j.greenbaum@computer.org-DeleteThis for any
questions about starting up a new wind_talk archive or taking over the
tide charts or Third Ave site.

-- Jack Greenbaum