Re: Collision

From: Ross, Barbara (rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 13:43:00 PDT

From: "Ross, Barbara" <rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis>
To: listserv <listserv@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Collision
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 97 13:43:00 PDT

In boat racing, the leeward boat may luff as she pleases to keep a windward
boat from over taking her and stealing her wind. (Luffing means that she
heads higher and higher into the wind.) She looses this right when the
windward sailor has mast abeam. Mast abeam is when the skipper in his usual
position is seated abeam of the leeward boat's mast. This rule is typically
used by boats on a reaching leg of a course and it keeps the leeward boat
from swinging her bow up and tapping out the windward boat at a point when
he can't do anything about it. So the leeward board can head has high as
she pleases in an effort to keep the windward board from over taking her but
has to give up if she looses the game and gets over taken. This only makes
sense if the boards are sailing roughly the same direction. When a sailor
is zooming down from above, he has to avoid the sitting duck below him and
the sitting duck better hold his course.

Boats on the same tack-- rule #1: overtaking boat avoids boat being
overtaken.

The overlap rule applies when rounding a mark and has to do with giving room
at the mark to the inside boat if she's overlapped within two boat lengths
of the mark. The overlap rule I think was eliminated for windsurfers because
it doesn't work very well at our speeds and lengths, however, I certainly
comply by it when I'm racing as I want to avoid collisions.

It would be interesting to read the rule book. They've recently published a
new, revised one.