Re: Beginner sailing in Bay Area

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 12:55:22 PDT

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Beginner sailing in Bay Area

> I'm getting a little bored of Shoreline... what are other options for
> a beginning sailor? (still uphauling mostly) Especially, what are
> options that still have wind late in the season?

I would go to Coyote. It's the easiest for landing not-quite-where-
you-started-from, which happens at all levels, but much more for beginners.
You can go out a mile and still have the jetty downwind of you.

More wind than Shoreline, for sure.

As at most Bay sites, the chop will make uphauling trickier. If you are
already started on waterstarting, that is perfect, because you'll have
more wind and more motivation to work on it in the Bay. Candlestick is
the one exception, but it is smooth because the wind is offshore, so I
don't recommend it for beginners.

The main thing is - wear a full-length wetsuit. Some people sail in
shorties, but everyone should be prepared to be in the water for many
hours. The water is unusually warm right now, but most of the time, it
is cold enough to induce hypothermia in a few hours. That has killed
some windsurfers here.

"I ought to say," explained Pooh, "that it isn't an ordinary sort of
boat. It all depends."
"Depends on what?"
"On whether I'm on top of it, or whether I'm underneath."
                                        -- Winnie-the-Pooh, A.A. Milne