Re: ASD vs Mistral

From: Steve Bangert (mathw@mathworks.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 05:43:46 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:43:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Bangert <mathw@mathworks.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: ASD vs Mistral

I have two Mistrals at the moment, screamer 2 and edge, and several years ago an
older screamer. I bought all the boards new. The old screamer developed a soft
spot in from of the rear footstraps after two summers of use. Eventually the
surface cracked and took on water. ASD did several repairs but even so the board
lasted only four years. I decided to give Mistral another chance last year and
bought a new screamer 2. After two months of use I noticed the area in front
of the footstraps getting soft. Pretty discouraging. I bought the edge later
because the deal was too good to turn down (500 for new 95 edge). Now one might
say I'm doing something wrong and causing the damage myself but I had a Bic
tempo for 4 years with no such problems. I've torn the plastic skin on the
screamer twice so far and had to do the repair myself because there isn't anyone
in the bay area who does them. I can't imagine a custom board being any more
fragile. If I had to buy a new board today I'd really look hard at asd. Having
something that CAN be repaired is a big plus and having the place to do the
repair so close is even better. Unless you can hook up with a good mail order
deal you're probably going to pay as much for a new Mistral as a custom asd
board. As far as durability in a production board goes I'd say Bic is very
good. I've had a couple of Bic's and they are MUCH more durable than Mistral
(and cheaper to boot).

steve bangert