Re: ASD vs Mistral

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 07:59:32 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:59:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: ASD vs Mistral

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Bilbo Innovations, Inc. wrote:

> Several people praised ASD boards above all. Are they really so good?
> Better than production boards, even top of the line production?

- Well, I don't own one, but I keep demoing them every year. I'd say
the big difference in ASD is that you get a board that is exactly
tuned to sailing in the bay area. Board design ( like any design) is a
series of compromises. The guys as ASD know which compromises will
work best on the bay. The other difference is weight and speed. ASD
boards are generally a pound or two lighter than a similar production
board ( less footstrap screws, higher quality fiberglass ). The other
thing is that the guys at ASD like FAST boards, even their wave boards
are faster.

- I was very tempted by the 8'11 mutant this year. This was the first
ASD bay slalom board that I've demo'd that was fun to jibe. Very fast,
and eats chop. It wasn't the board I was looking for ( a light wind
slalom ), but still very tempting.

- As far a durabilty goes, you can have them build a bombproof board
if you want. But a custom epoxy is never going to be as abuse proof
as a plastic coated board like the Mistral. You pay for the
performance.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@stanford.edu-DeleteThis