Re: Fibersnap

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 15:35:49 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Fibersnap

> I have a fibersnap boom of about that vintage, and have broken two older
> ones so far. So assuming mine will break one day ... are these now
> repairable?

Yes. Last time I had one done, it was $65 and two months, I think.
It's supposed to be one month.

> Also, are the new ones "fixed" meaning the head will not break?

Nothing is unbreakable, but I think they are about as reliable as other
booms now. I've sailed one boom (with the gray head) on most days for
two years now. That makes about 70 days, while I've been *learning* to
jump. That one is okay; the one that broke was three years old.

"Faster and faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
                                        -- Hunter S. Thompson