Re: Fibersnap

From: Edward Wilson (edwils@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 15:10:05 PDT

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:10:05 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Edward Wilson <edwils@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Fibersnap
Cc: poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

I have a fibersnap boom of about that vintage, and have broken two older
ones so far. So assuming mine will break one day ... are these now
repairable? I had heard at one point that Fiberspar was repairing them
instead of replacing them on warranty. Does that mean that those of us out
of warranty can do this?

Also, are the new ones "fixed" meaning the head will not break? I remember
in the early 90's it seemed like Fiberspar and the dealers would always say
something like: "Well of course all the ones that were made in
<current_year minus one> broke, but we've fixed the design, making them 40%
stronger. None have broken so far this year!, well except for a couple of
really big guys and some wavesailing damage" Problem was, this is what they
said every year for a few years in a row.

They sure are nice when they don't break, so I'm interested to hear if they
are truly fixed.

Thanks,

Ed Wilson
3rd Ave
Brown Vanagon
Forsyth, Mistral, Naish, Ezzy

Alas, about 5:30 my boom FiberSnapped. Same old head break, but not
surprising since this one is about 3 years old, from before they finally
fixed the heads. ...