3rd Thurs

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 21:59:19 PDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: 3rd Thurs
Cc: WALTER_MENGE@HP-Vancouver-om1.om.hp.com-DeleteThis

============= Thu 04 Sep 97 - 3rd - 6.0/257 (186#)

20 knots at 3:00 got us out of the office. I rigged Donald (std+1) and
Michael rigged Goofy (std). Hit the water about 4:30 and the wind
was filled in to the shore but very marginal for Michael, even in the
channel. Suddenly, at 5:00 it picked up. We were well-powered, and
we started getting nice, smooth 2-3 foot ebb swells and some great ramps -
we got a few 5 foot jumps.

Alas, about 5:30 my boom FiberSnapped. Same old head break, but not
surprising since this one is about 3 years old, from before they finally
fixed the heads. I limped in on one side (planed to the launch) switched
booms and... the wind was gone. I could see people slogging clear out
in the channel, so I quit for the day. Michael had brought in my other
boom arm and then made it back out, but he came back in soon, too.

But it was a very nice half hour!

"I hate it when that happens." -- SNL