Re: Windsurfing at SPI

From: David St. John (david@windcall.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 16:45:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 16:45:19 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: "David St. John" <david@windcall.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Windsurfing at SPI

My only experience in Padre Island was in August of '90, for about a week.
It was a total skunk-fest. Me and about 15 others sat around, waiting for
wind. I hear it's great though, when it blows - nice flat water in the
sheltered areas, good little ramps on the gulf side. Never got to sail
though. Water was *WARM*, like Florida but not as clear.

We stayed in a (state or national, can't remember) campground at the end of
the island. Can't remember the name of the shop that was there (in Corpus
Christi), but 7 year old information might not help too much anyway.

I've always wanted to go back - hope you have a better experience!

At 04:35 PM 7/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone roadtripped to South Padre Island (Texas) for windsurfing at
the end
>of the summer? Any recommendations on where to rent equipment, wind
>conditions,
>water conditions, places to stay, night life, etc. would be appreciated.
>Planning a trip down there in August and wanted to get some input from anyone
>who has sailed there.
>
>Thanks in advance.

     v /| --- David St. John
              v / | --- Call of the Wind