Re: Windsurfing at SPI

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 10:28:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Windsurfing at SPI

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997 RRUBIANO@raychem.com-DeleteThis wrote:

> Has anyone roadtripped to South Padre Island (Texas) for windsurfing at the end
> of the summer? Any recommendations on where to rent equipment, wind conditions,
> water conditions, places to stay, night life, etc. would be appreciated.
> Planning a trip down there in August and wanted to get some input from anyone
> who has sailed there.

- August is a pretty iffy month at SPI, unless a hurricane shows up
you might not get much sailing in. Wind in the Gulf in the summer
tends to occur only during the afternoon thunderstorms. The best
months are spring/fall. I've only been there once, but when I lived in
CO, many of the local windsurfers started their season with an early
March trip to SPI and ended it with a Thanksgiving weekend trip to
SPI. I was there in '87 so any info about shops is probably useless.
At that time there was lessons/rentals available at the Bird Island
launch. I'd be very wary of sailing the coast side during August,
summer is jellyfish season. Bring lot's of adolph's meat tenderizer,
it really helps with jellyfish stings. There's nothing like looking
down to make a jibe and seeing about 40 or 50 of the big blue nasty
ones. Really provides incentive!

- Sailing the sound is a blast when it's working, 250 miles of 4' deep
water.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@stanford.edu-DeleteThis