Incident in Singapore

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 04:04:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:04:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: Incident in Singapore

Please send any reponses to this to the original sender.

Ken

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:56:20 +0800
>From: Juliana Kok <jankok@singnet.com.sg-DeleteThis>
Subject: Hello from Singapore

Dear Sirs / Madams

I wonder if you may be of help to me.

I am female , 28 yrs old and had enrolled for a weekend ( Saturday /

Sunday ) windsurfing course at the Europa Sailing Club In The Republic

of Singapore.

On the second and final day of our course , about 10 of us were rounded

up to be towed , back to shore all at one go. Some surfboards were

attached to the boat with ropes of different lengths while some boards

were just hooked on to other boards. As the boat was circling to

retrieve the last student , my board was flipped over by the was

generated by the motor boat. All the time I was lying flat on my belly

with my entire self on the board , holding on as tight as possible to a

wet and bouncing surfboard. Boards were hitting each other and the ropes

were hitting / pushing us , sometimes going under our surfboard if the

boat slowed down and caused the ropes to slacken. My board flipped so

suddenly and I was thrown into the sea. As there were so many boards

being towed by that one boat and I was the one nearest to the back of

the boat, I failed to avoid all the boards behind me and was struck

across the face by by a skeg. I suffered full thickness laceration

across my peri-orbital region, my eyelid, nose and lip.

The problem I face now is this :-

The Club have hired lawyers to maintain that I was negligent and failed

to grasp the side of the board firmly. They mentioned that the

surfboard flipped but it was due to strong and choppy waves and wind.

How many boards can safely be towed together at a go? Any rules and/or

guidelines on that?

Are there any guidelines as to the state of a club's first aid kit or

emergency protocol and procedures? The club's first aid kit was sorely

lacking - lotions that were discoloured, no gauze ( I had to use

serviettes from the club's restaurant ) and club officials / members

were just panicking all over the place, not knowing what to do , where

to send me .

Can somebody help? Or perhaps if you could pass this on to someone who

can? I definitely cannot afford to hire big gun lawyers to fight a

multi - million dollar club.

Thank you very much for your time and I apologise if I have

inconvenienced you in any way.

With Regards,

CHRISTINA S. L. KOK

e-mail : cjksl@singnet.com.sg-DeleteThis