baja trip, part 4

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 08:20:41 PDT

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Campsurfdawg list -- David Bartolotta <david@bartolotta.com-DeleteThis>, Clay Feeter <WTRACKSHQ@aol.com-DeleteThis>, "Colin J. Case" <102544.2240@CompuServe.COM-DeleteThis>, "Galvan, Daniel CDT " <x01397@exmail.usma.army.mil-DeleteThis>, John Egan <jregan@aloha.net-DeleteThis>, Eric Simonsen <ESSphoto@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Flash Gordon <flash@well.com-DeleteThis>, Leah Doran <vivid@surfnetusa.com-DeleteThis>, Lisa Bauer <recycqueen@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Liz Brady <floraslk@harborside.com-DeleteThis>, Edward B Doubleday <day2@interramp.com-DeleteThis>, Patrick Hamilton <mycochef@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Steve Ulrich <stevenu@unspoken.com-DeleteThis>, Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: baja trip, part 4

Day #7
=======

There is wind this morning. There is also a pile of dirty dishes and the
reefer won't stay lit. Uh, that is the propane flame that makes the icebox
work. This morning's fixit session includes taping cardboard over the
vented access panel to the reefer guts in hopes that will make a calmer
environment for the delicate little flame. I also take the long walk out
to our special spot in Cacarroyo and dig a hole. I find that my custom
made squat plate is still there from last year and in excellent condition.
I am also very happy to see that the tissue flowers are scarce this year,
no doubt due to the efforts of Solo Sports and the Friends of (ooops -
almost said it!) Campo Viejo. There are now two bonafide outhouses, clean
and sturdy, near the downtown encampments. The holes are deep enough to
swallow a Toyota pickup.

Since the reefer is only maintaining 55-60 degrees, we must do some serious
work on our perishable food. First pizza, then lobster tacos for brunch!
Then sailing!

This turns into an all-time day. The wind is steady for the 4.7/8'8
combo, and there are excellent waves all over the place! Outside swells
connect to inside sections everytime, they don't dissappear in the middle
like on some other days. Waves are waist to head high and every break is
working. But I need more food, so I go in and work on some more lobster
and rehydrate with a beer.

At 5 I go back out for round two, which lasts another 2 hours for a total
of 6! Ya-hoo.