Re: Glass or Expoxy for an 8'5" Enduro

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun Jun 08 1997 - 19:11:10 PDT

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:11:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Glass or Expoxy for an 8'5" Enduro

Hey Zeev,
* That was pretty lumpy , but big fun at Davenport, eh?
Thursday and Friday were so different from the other times that I've been
there this year that it seemed like a whole new place. Not exactly primo
wave sailing, but good 'test the metal' stuff.
* As far as types of boards go...
I had great trepidation about epoxy sandwich type boards being too tough on
my damaged knees. I sailed on glass wave boards and the difference
especially for 'upscale' types (180+) is enough to never go back. If I had a
special board for down the line 30+ conditions I would definitely consider a
nice glass board for sticking to the water, but the feel of a light weight
epoxy going off the lip or carving fast up the face is definitely worth the
extra $.
* ASD enduros are real good for this area and also work well in side off
conditions although not quite as well as a north shore Timpone, Hawaiin, or
local Santa Cruz board. They are very good however for getting up on a plane
and carving fast.
* For you I would recommend an 8'8" or 8'6 if you already have a 5.2 board.
 Talk to Bob Miller at ASD. Tell him your a friend of mine if you don't know
him and he will make a board custom suited to your specs. This is the best
way if you have about 4 weeks to wait. Otherwise, go check what they have in
stock.
I have a stock 8'6 and a custom 8'8 that he made for me for light wind
conditions.
The 8'6 is actually 8'5 and fairly thin, but pops on a plane quickly and
really cranks up the face as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to. I'm
185-190#
You can demo their boards and fell the difference between glass and epoxy in
the same shapes.
Have Fun. See you on the waves.
TWavo.