Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 01:23:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 01:23:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

============= Sun 11 May 97 - Crown Sterling - 5.4/257 (184#)

Michael and I sailed Crown Sterling. We were not sure it was going to
happen, but it came up about 2:30 as we arrived. Took the Standard Rig
(5.4/257 for me and 4.8/8'6 for Michael (150#)). It was a little light
inside, but well-powered beyond the runways. I couldn't seem to get
much air off the chop, but Michael was flying pretty good.

We sailed right up to the edge of the runways and swam under the piers
that stick out into the bay under the landing patterns. Yeuch! The
jet-fuel stench made me naseous. We missed being in it, but watched
a couple of jets wind up engines there prior to takeoff. It kicks
up quite a spray in the water - must be well over 40 knots.

------------- the rest of May

The rest of May was a disaster! I was ready to sail most days, but
never saw anything worth sailing. Between inactivity and an HP
conference with great food, I gained 4 pounds. :-(

============= Sun 2 Jun 97 - 3rd - 5.4,4.7/257 (188#)

Wind at last! When I arrived at 3rd at 1:30, a few people were rigging
down from 5.0-5.3 sizes. I was not convinced, so I rigged 5.4. That
was enough to plane off from shore and I was way powered in the channel.
The westerly direction gave us a rather severe voodoo chop.

After a half hour, the wind was coming up a bit, so I came in to rig
down to 4.7. This took some slogging to get back outside, but it was
rippin' in the channel and the 4.7 was perfect. The swell got better,
with occasional nice swells to four feet, but was still mostly hash.
But hash makes for good steep ramps, and I (among many others) got lots
of airtime. (I got several really great catapults after landing a
little too far forward, too.) Ed Scott reported hitting on both port
and starboard, but my board has never learned to jump starboard. There
was quite a bunch of us gradually sailing upwind to "marker 7" (Jay
notes that there is a submerged pile on the map across the channel from
marker 8; this must have once been marker 7).

Between 4:00 and 4:30 the wind notched up some more. After a couple of
reaches where I never sheeted in and feared to let my board leave the
water, I decided I was seriously OP'd and called it a day.

"Windsurfing is so addictive because it's like sex: you don't know when
you will get it, and then you don't know how good it will be."
                                        -- Randy Johnson