3rd ave ramp

From: Ken Brown (kenb@hpindch.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 21:14:45 PDT

To: randy52@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis (Randy Anderson)
Cc: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd ave ramp
Date: Mon, 19 May 97 21:14:45 -0700
From: Ken Brown <kenb@hpindch.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Hi Randy,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for all the efforts you're putting in
on behalf of the 3rd avenue sailing area.

I read the latest (May 97) SFBA newsletter that talks about the possibility
of putting in a concrete replacement for the current ramp at the upper site.
If plans are put in place to do this, I'd like to register a concern that
something be done to prevent what's happening with the concrete ramps at the
lower site - namely algae growth on the ramp that makes it very slippery when
wet, to the point of being almost unusable. I understand (from others who
have used them - certainly *I* have *never* been forced to use them myself :-)
that the safety ramps below the lower site are even worse than the regular
lower site ramp. If similar algae forms on the ramp at the upper site,
slowing those attempting to use it, I think you can imagine what effect
that will have when the wind comes up and everyone is suddenly making like
lemmings to the sea....

Maybe all it takes is putting a rough surface on it. Those who go without
booties may object, though I think it's got to be possible to get the surface
so it's no worse than the one now for the bootie-impaired, yet rough enough
to withstand algae growth.

Thanks again for your efforts,

Ken Brown