Re: (Fwd) Re: Beginner sites in delta

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 09:55:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  (Fwd) Re: Beginner sites in delta

> Sailing the Delta in the summer in a 3/2 with short sleeves
> won't be a problem.
> Candlestick is much easier because of the relatively
> flat water. Also, the water temp at Candlestick is pretty warm in
> the summer. Keep in mind that the wind is offshore there, so if you
> can't waterstart or break down you may be in for a very long swim.
> One more suggestion - get a pair of sleeves to go with your wetsuit.
> You may be able to order them from O'Neil. I used a 3/2 O'Neil
> convertible for years at Crissy until I finally bought a warmer suit.

Do NOT sail Candlestick or Crissy (or outside at 3rd or Coyote) in a
short-sleeve 3/2. If you break down, all these sites can carry you away
from shore faster than you can swim (currents at Crissy, wind at
Candlestick). If that happens, you are in the water for hours at the
minimum, perhaps overnight. Even at Candlestick you will be hypothermic
in a few hours and dead in a few more; the water gets much colder as you
get to the channel.

A windsurfer died this way just last year from Oyster Point. Let's not
forget the lesson.

(Sounds of screams as Nazi bad guy is aged into dust by drinking from
the false grail... followed by wind blowing and, finally, silence.)
Guardian Knight: "He chose... poorly."
                                -- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade