More about locks insurance...

From: James Wolfgram (James_Wolfgram@SMTPGate.TESSERACT.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 15:14:11 PDT

Date: Fri, 09 May 97 14:14:11 PST
From: "James Wolfgram" <James_Wolfgram@SMTPGate.TESSERACT.COM-DeleteThis>
Encoding: 30 Text
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: More about locks insurance...

     During the course of my windsurfing life, I've had a board stolen. It
     was prior to the acquisition of the locking racks, van, or truck with
     shell. I had renters insurance, had no problem on getting the claim
     honored. Was basically able to upgrade my board for virtually no
     cost.

     Then, when renewal time came along, I received the unilateral
     increaase of deductible from $250 to $500. I don't recall an
     offsetting deduction in premiums. About 2 years later, we were in the
     process of closing on a home in the Oakland Hills. This would be aug
     of 95 time frame, hight of the insurance crises in California. I
     spent a solid week on the phone, making close to a hundred calls
     seeking a homeowners policy. You can't close with out coverage. At
     least one company turned me down because I had had a previous claim in
     the last 3 years, (replacing my board). We were finally able to get
     coverage, but I'm extremely careful about what I would file a claim
     for. My agent gave me the unofficial word, they can't officially tell
     you, that more than a few small claims would result in non renewal of
     the policy. Basically it sucks. We literal pay thousands in
     premiums, but are in effect prohibited from getting benefit from the
     policy.

     For those who were interested, I bought the racks with locks used from
     Peter Liu (Peters Cafe). I think he had them custom fabricated, they
     are square, and will fit tule towers. The gorge rack component is
     bolted to the cross bar, and the locking component slides into the
     cross bar and is secured with padlocks. They've worked pretty well
     for me, I'm willing to part with em for $100 or Best Reasonable Offer.

     I can be reached at (415) 834-3950.