Re: Sailing Elbow

From: JAMES_CONWAY@HP-PaloAlto-om8.om.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri May 02 1997 - 09:54:49 PDT

From: JAMES_CONWAY@HP-PaloAlto-om8.om.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 2 May 97 09:54:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Sailing Elbow
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text

     Hi,

     I have had this problem intermittently in the past and have found a
     easy solution to minimize the pain and address the problem.

     First if it continues to cause you pain STOP THE TRAUMA.
     Unfortunately this means taking it easy for a week or so...
     Try a smaller sail helps too.

     Second, Remember the word RICE -- REST, ICE, Compression like in a Ace
     bandage(Can't remember what the C stood for!), and Elevation.
     Icing the affected areas, especially the elbows, will help the
     inflammation and reduce swelling.

     Thirdly a simple exercise that has helped me greatly:

     Gently press your hand vertically against any flat surface, slowly
     stretching the tendons of the hands and forearms, slowly push off with
     your fingers almost like a mini-pushup against the wall. Do this 5 to
     10 times, stop if you feel pain. You may wish to work up the
     intensity and number of intervals initially. THIS WILL HELP A LOT!

     Would any of the doctors out there care to comment?

     JWC in Pillar Point Harbor

     Clear at the coast today, calm at dawn.
     Happy Shredding!