Re: Is Call of the Wind Down?

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 15:04:39 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Is Call of the Wind Down?
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>
Date: 01 May 1997 15:04:39 -0700

"Ross, Barbara" <rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis> writes:
> This does not look good to me. I have had nothing but trouble with my
> Advisor since Jim put me on the format where you get all the California
> sites. It's blank a high percentage of the time and beeps only to tell me
> my name.

I had big trouble with my used Advisor when I first got it last year
(not from Jim). The main power line from the batery clip had a really
bad solder joint, and I've heard that this problem isn't uncommon. I had
similar symptoms (reseting as though the power had been turned off then
on again which causes a beep and your name to be displayed) and general
flakey behavior until I fixed it. First I took it back to the shop where
I bought it but their so-called expert overlooked this extremely glaring
problem. You only see it if you take the case completely off, and I bet
they didn't. I did and fixed it in five minutes total (o.k., I had to
wait another five for the soldering iron to heat up), and it has been
very reliable since.

Unless your an experienced electronic tech I wouldn't recommend doing
this yourself, but if you are or know someone who is then the problem
may be very simple to fix as it was with mine. I'd be happy to tell you
how to get the case off and where to look for if you are interested.

Jack Greenbaum -- Research Engineer, Ricoh California Research Center
Digital: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg
Analog: (415) 496-5711 voice | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
         (415) 854-8740 fax | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002