Davenport was Dandy

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 23:35:51 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 02:35:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Davenport was Dandy

Tuesday, 4PM :::)
I met Paul @ the new 'improved' Davenport Beach park. The only thing thats
constant is change! I just wished all the planners and developers would stop
screwing evrything up. Now you have to climb over fences with your gear to
get to the rigging area; so much for the pastoral flower-laden meadow where
all the sails used to lay like butterflies on the bushes.

The reef hasn't changed, though. It was still producing small chest to head
high waves that were lotsa fun. Great shape and a little side off. I was on
a 5.3 /(185) that kept me powered. Most other folks were on 4.5 - 5.0.

My last several days down the coast have been pretty intense with lots of
adrenalin in my wetsuit. BIG chomping waves with sketchy wind in the impact
zone has been doing its best to lighten my hair color, but today was mellow
yellow. "Thats right, Slick". It was a relief to carve on the faces of
glassy blue liquid mayo. On one ride evrything was so still I could hear the
hiss of my rail digging into the face as I climbed up to the lip and snapped
off the crest. This moment reminded me of carving down virgin powder in the
trees all alone on a steep slope. I was next door to heaven and God left the
window open.

The best part:
I was pinching in from the outside on the big hunt for my next wave when some
dude passing by going out starts yelling at me and pointing down at my board.
 I'm thinking either something is about ready to break or some kind of tweaky
local loco is got a thorn up his harness. Suddenly, majesticly, two whales
apear in tandem not more than 10 feet away coming straight at me. I slow way
down and look into their faces/ heads as they passed underneath me. I think
they were whales, they had really rounded squatty heads though, and they were
BIG. If they were sea lions they were the biggest ones I've ever seen. I'm
sorry I can't be more definitive, but the whole event transcended me into
another space & time. Fortunately, a big wave came and slapped me back into
reality. Thanks, I needed that.

This is the second time this year that I've sailed next to whales; maybe its
a good sign? Just thought I'd share this.

Tony D