Re: Swing Shift at Third/Tigers Injury

From: STEVE AMMANN (stephamm@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 12:19:59 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 14:19:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: stephamm@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis (STEVE AMMANN )
Subject: Re: Swing Shift at Third/Tigers Injury
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

I arrived at Oyster Point approx. 2pm. The shredqueen (Robin) was already
out at flying tigers on a 4.2 with Hunt and Peter. They had agreat time,
but the wind-dead area was huge, so I decided to launch out of Genentech
. This launch is rocky, similar to Crown Sterling, but avoids the dead
area. As I launched Robin, Hunt and Peter slogged back to Oyster point.
After about a half hour and 10 waterstarts they made it back to their
launch area. While I had a good time on a 5.5/ ASD 9.0 with lots of flat
water glory-jibes, I noticed two sailors out of Oyster point sailing
towards the birdcage and only one returning. I did not suspect anything at
this point as the second sailor might adjust his sail and take little
longer to return. After derigging, I returned to Oyster by car, I found out
that the sailors were Bill and Leslie from Berkeley. Somebody told me that
Bill had broken both his arm and mast when jumping. The coast guard was in
the process of getting him aboard near the bird cage. I am not sure wether
the coast guard helicopter was flying just in case they could not find him
right away. The ambulance was waiting at the dock.

Bill is an excellent sailor. The buddy system really worked. Had he sailed
alone this easily could have turned into a fatal accident.

This is the 3rd resque out of Oyster Point this year that I know of. The
Harbor Master now has a Zodiak power boat which was used for resque twice
this season already( One on the same day when a couple of sailors needed
resue at 3rd Ave). They could not use it yesterday because it needs two
people to operate it, so they called the coast guard.