Thursday 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Fri Apr 25 1997 - 01:16:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: Thursday 3rd
Cc: WALTER_MENGE@HP-Vancouver-om1.om.hp.com-DeleteThis

============= Thu 25 Apr 97 - 3rd - 5.4,4.7/257 (184#)

    "Hi, my name is Ken and I'm a windaholic. It's been 17 days since
    my last session."

Could not make it Wednesday, but forecasts were confident for Thursday
as well, and the wind delivered!

At 3:00 the wind was just marginal 5.5, but we did the Standard Rig:
5.4/257 for me and 4.8/8'6 for Michael (150#). By 3:30 when we set out,
the wind came up very nicely and we were very well powered in the
channel, with some nice 3' swell. The wind gradually built, and then
notched up a lot around 4:15. Nearly everyone came in and a full-on
rigging frenzy ensued. We went down a size each and went out to find
ourselves still quite overpowered in the channel. But the ebb swell was
building, so we hung on as long as we could. Pretty soon I was just
riding the rocket sled - simply hanging on at warp speed, dodging the
bigger waves and trying not to do anything that would let the wind
catapult me. After a while reason prevailed and we went inside to sail
in the lighter winds there.

About 5:30 we went in. But I wanted another stab at the channel, so I
put the last 1/4" of downhaul on my sail and went back to get hammered.
But... the wind had backed off just enough to put me back in control,
and the swell had built up to 6 feet, some very smooth and rideable,
some great steep launch ramps. It was great! Mucho airtime with the
occasional bonus of a good landing :-).

Smiles all around.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air."
                    -- John Gillespie Magee Jr., "High Flight"