Re[2]: Strobe Purchase information

From: Matt Chapman (mchapman@server.cupertino.viewlogic.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 09 1997 - 14:48:17 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 14:48:17 PDT
From: Matt Chapman <mchapman@server.cupertino.viewlogic.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re[2]: Strobe Purchase information

>Thanks for the info on the strobe. Does any one have a list of things to
>include in a safety kit?

Some suggestions clipped from wind_talk over the years:

 - About 10 meters of 8-10 mm Nylon cord. Strong and stretchy for tow
    line use.

 - Rigging line to replace downhaul, outhaul or masthead line.

 - Whistle (one that will work when wet - ie, ball-less), flares,
    mirror, submersible strobe light.

 - A leash to keep the board from floating away while you're rolling
    up the sail.

 - Wetsuit hood. You need to stay warm if you have to paddle or
    swim in.

 - Velcro straps for securing boom, mast and rolled up sail.

 - Waterproof watch. Know the tide schedule before you go out.

 - A fin screw driver that can also be used to dig out knots.

 - A knife. As flat as possible, perhaps with screwdriver accessory.

 - A spare fin. Perhaps cut down and shaped from one with a damaged
    tip.

 - A Powerbar or two.

I don't agree with all these items, but I don't wear a helmet, PFD or
sunglasses either. (For me the minuses outweight the pluses.)

I use a heavy duty fanny pack purchased from Neil Pryde a few years
back. I added drain holes to the bottom with a pencil soldering iron.
Much easier than cutting it up and sewing in mesh.

The fanny pack has two advantages. You can swivel it to your front
without having to take it off, and you can leave it in the car when
sailing the delta or the gorge. But other options (attached to your
body, not the board) are certainly better than nothing.

I do believe in using the right sail, and replacing worn lines and
questionable components (mast base, fin, etc.) No offense, but anyone
out on anything larger than a 4.0 yesterday (for an 170lb guy), was
asking to get spanked. Sailing in these conditions is pushing the
envelope of what windsurfing gear is designed to handle. (I got away
with only a busted footstrap.)

  - Matt