Re: Caution low tide

From: Chris Rowe (hangtime@relgyro.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 07 1997 - 09:53:51 PDT

Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 09:53:51 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Chris Rowe <hangtime@relgyro.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Caution low tide

>The bolt was still there
>and the box didn't get ripped from the board. Being that I was about a half
>a mile or so out, if you have every tried to windsurf without a fin, it
>doesn't work to well.

Although it is tough to sail without a fin, it's not impossible. Just
dig in your upwind rail hard and stay at low speed. The instant you begin
to plane, the tail shoots out and you crash or just plane sideways directly
downwind. Keep it slow and the board tipped way up, and it's just like
slogging except you still have plenty of wind.

This technique may be the answer to sailing low tide, even. Take a
screwdriver
out in your harness, sail the channel all you want. Then, when the sandbars
raise their ugly, disturbingly long-slung heads, take your fin out and
mud-surf home, in styyyyyle....

Chris "Dodds" Rowe