Caution low tide

From: Burton, Tony (tburton@visa.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Apr 06 1997 - 11:26:42 PDT

From: "Burton, Tony" <tburton@visa.com-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Caution low tide
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:26:42 -0700
Return-Receipt-To: <tburton@visa.com-DeleteThis>
Encoding: 22 TEXT

Just thought I'd share a recent experience at Embassy Suites Hotel (just
north of Coyote Point). Sailed on Thursday around 3PM. Was aware of the
minus tide, one reason I didn't go to 3rd. Sailed for about two hours. The
lowest point of the tide was when I decided to call it a day. I saw a
sandbar just south of the red markers for SFO and stayed well clear of it
going out. On my way back in around 5PM, I thought I was well clear of the
sand bar and guess what? Yes I hit it.. probably the tail end of it.
Fortunately I didn't get totally launched, but when I felt the fin hitting
bottom, I immediately took steps to avoid the launch and basically jumped
off. The only problem I had was my fin was gone. The bolt was still there
and the box didn't get ripped from the board. Being that I was about a half
a mile or so out, if you have every tried to windsurf without a fin, it
doesn't work to well.

So, to all those who dare to get every available moment of windsurfing in,
knowing about low tides and all the other hazards that go with the sport,
be careful. Allot of us know what it's like to have to swim, walk or be
towed in. This being my first incident, I now understand how frustrating it
is to break down. At least I was able to walk back to shore.
Tony.