Re: tendonits and windsurfing

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Mar 30 1997 - 18:10:53 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 18:10:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Paugh <James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: tendonits and windsurfing
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

> From: " David Olson" <dnolson@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
>
> Craig,
>
> I read your message about your hand going numb from activity. Your doctors
> diagnosis sounds accurate. Windsurfing can make the condition worse but you
> can take some precautions to minimze any worsening of the condition. Keep
> taking ibuprofin/asprin/Aleve to reduce the swelling, but applying ice and
> stretching is also important.
>
> Ice various locations on the affected arm not only the wrist. Try feeling
> the muscle along the forearm for "hot spots" or muscle knots. Massage these
> out with your other hand and ice regularly to promote healing. Make sure you
> search near the elbow where the tendons connect. This is likely to be an area
> where any previous damage has caused muscle contraction (knots) and
> swelling.

This description is very similar to a condition that I have. There's something
going on in my elbow that causes my wrist to hurt ocassionally. I fell on my
mtb bike a couple of weeks ago and whacked my elbow, which has aggravated the
condition and is currently causing a lot of pain in my wrist. Body Glove makes
a neoprene strap that is sold as a "Tennis Elbow" brace, that I am
experimenting with. It's made to be strapped around the forearm by the elbow,
but I've also used it around my wrist while sailing, and it seems to help
reduce the aggravation. I got the brace at a sporting good store that carries
tennis equipment.

> Your work environment may also be affecting the tendonitis. Pay attention to
> repetitive activities, like typing, hammering, using a screwdriver, cutting
> etc.

This brings up a good point. If you spend a lot time on a keyboard, and use
the "proper" typing technique (using all ten fingers), stop using your
right-hand pinky to hit the return key. This causes a repetative extension of
the wrist that is very damaging to the wrist tendons. Instead, move your hand
to the right and hit the return key with your index finger. It's an easy habit
to get into and may help reduce the pain.

After tearing a cartilage in my wrist 4 years ago, I went through a couple of
weeks of therapy (after six weeks in a cast). It was then that I realized how
abusive it is to work all day on a keyboard, followed by hanging from a boom
for a couple of hours. Change your keyboard habits and stretch!

~Jim