Re: 3rd Water Temperature

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 13:54:45 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:54:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  3rd Water Temperature

> How's the water temperature in the south bay now? Concerned as I only have a
> spring suit (3/2mm shortie) and last year I spent quite a bit of time in the
> water learning to waterstart and jibe. I mostly sail 3rd avenue or the Palo
> Alto launch.

The water felt pretty cold on Wednesday. I was glad to have 4/3 steamer,
booties and a thin hood on. I'll wear the 4/3 steamer all summer.

But the real reason is not comfort. If you sail long enough, you *will*
eventually have a breakdown that leaves you swimming. If you're in
the channel at 3rd, the water is much colder there than inside and the
tide runs faster than you can swim. It takes a minimum of two hours to
get rescued, and sometimes people are out overnite. The ones in full suits
live through that, the ones in shorties die.

"hSit happens."