VHF Radio and Maui Rental Issues Reply

From: David R. Fielder (dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Feb 25 1997 - 17:14:13 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:14:13 -0800
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis (David R. Fielder)
Subject:  VHF Radio and Maui Rental Issues Reply

Dear Edward & Luigi:
        I bought an ICOM IC-M1 at West Marine in Oakland around Christmas
(yes, sometimes it is simplest to just treat yourself). Their catalog has
good technical reviews of all VHF radio issues, including waterproofing
(what it really means), plus there was a review in a sailing mag in 96
which the salesperson gave me a copy of that said ICOM IC-M1 was v. good.
Bottom line was that I bought it on sale with free waterproof pouch added
(I think about a $20 value) and still negotiated a $30 further discount
based on showing them an ad in Latitude 38 (?) catalog with even a lower
price, which they matched! My friend, Ned, a "sit-down" sailor recommended
that technique from prior experience. However, I have yet to actually use
radio on the water - goal is some major cross-Bay experiences this year,
plus I am a bit of a safety "nut".
        I have stayed in the Excursions house (actually it is called
"Honeybun's House" as that is the owner's real name, believe it or not).
My grandson played with Bob Pearlman's son and I would strongly recommend
his rooms/cottages as a good option. Launch from Honeybun's was easy, no
swimming, and great place for "hero" jibes into the beach wall, which you
see in some videos. Airplanes fade into non-issue after 1-2 days in our
experience - something to do with ability to ignore repetitive
conditions/sounds? - and seem to cease after 9PM anyway. From there, with
decent upwind ability, it is easy to sail either Kanaha (downwind) or
Sprecks - it's the same ocean.
        Let me know if you wish more details.... David