Re: COTW accuracy in the Delta

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 03 1996 - 10:38:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 10:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: COTW accuracy in the Delta

On Fri, 3 May 1996, steve shugart wrote:

> I recently purchased a Call of the Wind Pager. Last nite the Sherman
> readings were averaging 22-26, with peaks to 33. Using my old source the
> the winds were 14-17, with peaks 23 or so. This morning I got up at 5, the
> COTW was reading 17-29 avg 22, so having not sailed in 5 days, I made the
> Dawn Patrol Dash, The wind lighten as I drove down, usual for the dawn
> experience, when I arrived it was reading 14-23, avg 17-20. I could of sailed
> a 6.0m/9.0 but didn't bring the beast.

- COTW has had some trouble with the sherman island sensors earlier this
year. You should report it to

windcall@aol.com-DeleteThis

> When the old Windtalker was reading an average of 18 or above, it was usually
> 5.0 or sub conditions. With the COTW it is 6.0 conditions.
>
> Does anyone else have any experience with COTW readings and the Delta? At what
> point do you make the Trek?

-Last summer, I found COTW to be generally pretty accurate at the delta.
Haven't been up yet this year. Each COTW site is a little different.

Here's a summary of my experience :

Coyote/3rd: COTW generally matches the wind in the channel. I weigh 175
and sail a Seatrend 8'11".

13-16 6.2m sail
16-20 5.4m
20+ 4.8m

Berkeley: Okay if you launch from the Lord's landing, not very accurate
for either Pt. Isabell or in the cove. It generally matches the conditions
out in the bay, but there is often a windline near shore, particularly
at Pt. Isabell.

13-17 6.2m
18-22 5.4m
22+ 4.8m

Sherman Isl: Perhaps reads slightly high. It really depends on what the
current is doing. i.e. 13 is okay on a strong ebb, slogging on a flood.

15-18 6.2m
18-21 5.4m
21-24 4.8m
25+ 4.2m