Re: opinions on Forsyth 8'6"

From: Michael Schuh (schuh@faf6.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 19 1996 - 14:16:13 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:16:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: schuh@faf6.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: opinions on Forsyth 8'6"

> Of course, I'm not on the habit of having to close a vent, so I've
> sailed one board three times with the vent cracked. Each time I
> set it out in the sun for a few days with the vent open and down;
> I get about a teaspoon of water out and the board has not gained
> weight.

I have also forgotten to close my vent with the same minor
damage results. I am not sure my board was even damaged. I
think the biggest problem was having to go buy another plug.
I noticed it was missing under the Golden Gate bridge. Bummer.

> If your boards live in your van, you probably need to find some way
> to always open and close the vent before and after sailing.

I keep some masking tape in my car to put over the vent plug once I
have loosened it. The first thing I do when I see the tape before
sailing is take it off and tighten the vent while the tape is still in
my hand. Then when I am done sailing and returning the board to
storage for transportation, I loosen the plug and put the tape back
over the top. The tape is a visual reminder and not intended to keep
the plug from falling out. The tape certainly would not keep any water
or air from entering or leaving the board.

Michael