Re: Doug's Beach

From: Jim Paugh (jpaugh@caribe-85.Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 04 1996 - 07:46:58 PST

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 07:46:58 -0800
From: jpaugh@caribe-85.Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Doug's Beach
Cc: cgrippo@willamette.edu-DeleteThis

> From: Chris Grippo <cgrippo@willamette.edu-DeleteThis>

[...]
> not bad. Did some good jumps, but no major swell to ride. Still sailing
> was good up to the point when I broke my Fiberspar boom (world cup
> wave). Had to do some swimming for a bit, H2O was COLD.

Don't get me started on Fiberspar!

> ... Finally, I
> milked it back to shore. It was kind of a bummer, but still a good day.
> I can't believe my boom snapped (although it was at the head and it was
> the third Fiberspar that I have broke). The funny thing is that it was
> only about 14 months old. No warrenty here, 12 month policy. Guess I
> could have tem fix it for a price, but Heck I just assume buy a new one.
> Any advice?

Well you probably could call Fiberspar, give them a serious ration, and
they'll probably give you a replacement at a discounted price. I guess
it depends on how much you like swimming in cold water.

Or you could go with Dynafiber or Gulftech.

Dynafiber has just changed their rear end to a non-spring pin
adjustment system. It uses a small crank that compresses a bushing
inside the boom tubes. Infinitely adjustable, and no spring pins to
pinch you cold fingers on! Some early versions had some problems with
slipping, but it turned out to be the mandrel release compound that was
causing the slipping. Dynafibers have a nice small diameter boom arm.

Gulftech's are always very strong and durable. A bit heavier, but not
by much.

I have one of each and have been happy with both.

Happy sailing!

~Jim