BIG BLOW, friend or foe?

From: David Stuart (dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Dec 12 1995 - 21:21:49 PST

Date: 13 Dec 1995 13:21:49 U
From: "David Stuart" <dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: BIG BLOW, friend or foe?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

        Reply to: BIG BLOW, friend or foe?

Subject: big blow
Pierre St. Hilaire writes, "This is the most wind I have seen since hurricane
Bob hit Boston a few years ago." Others write about about the possibility of
sailing these big winds.

Now if its big wind stories you want, than Hugo falls under the category of
best sailable hurricane. Fall of '89, Kalmus Beach (Boston), and the clearing
was blowing steady 45 out of the southwest. Warm leftover summer southside
cape waters, clear blue sunny sky, and warm southwest breeze (if 45 gusting to
50 is a breeze). 100 sailors using their smallest equipment. For me, 3.8m
(205#) and I was powered.

We sailed so long we had to drink sea water and eat live cape cod lobsters and
stare into the sun until our eyeballs burst into flames. That's the way
things were with Hurricane Hugo and we LIKED IT!

After too many sessions, (1 too many), knee surgery was required. And after
three months in a wheelchair (cartilage repair vs trim/removal) my non-weight
bearing period was complete. Two more months of mobilized rehab positioned me
to begin rebuilding back to normal strength and endurance levels. After 1
year, I could sail normal high wind conditions. A year to remember.

The moral of this story, carefully weigh all risks against possible gains
before engaging any "Big Blows" that might be in town.