of vortexes and other phenoms

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Oct 19 1995 - 14:12:46 PDT

Subject: of vortexes and other phenoms
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 14:12:46 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

Last eve while sailing off the end of the approach runways at SFO I saw a small
waterspout - such phenom having been mentioned in these hallowed pages before
(last winter/spring I believe). Anyway, it appeared after a 'heavy' went thru
for landing. I was south of the orange piers, and heading north towards them.
Was about mast high, and not terribly think with water. looked like a desert
dust devil. it traveled away from the end of the runway, across my path and
onwards. I lost sight of it behind my not-so-clear-anymore sail.

And then this reminds me to mention something I've been meaning to ask about...
I saw a ~whirlpool~ at crissy a month or so ago. It was SE of the north tower
about 200m and was within 5 min or so of a very large container ship having
gone out the gate. it was a hard flood tide coming back in. I was heading back
towards the coast guard station from the north tower and heard this sucking
noise in my path. came up on it, & sailed past. it was about 10 ft across and 3
feet deep and looked like a giant version of the whirlpools I used to create &
play with when draining the tub as a kid (ok so mebbe I still play with 'em, so
what's yer point?). Anyway, I hit a hole right near it (air eddy remaining from
the ship?), and fell in. Man, I didn't let go of that boom, managed to get a
puff in a few seconds and slogged on out of there. It was sittin' there sucking
away the entire time I was in the area (mebbe 45s). Anyone else ever see such?

and now back to our regularly-scheduled perl script debugging...

Jeff