Re: AWIA show

From: Jay Runge (jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Oct 16 1995 - 21:57:37 PDT

From: jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Jay Runge)
Subject: Re: AWIA show
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 21:57:37 -0700 (PDT)

The show was interesting, not a lot of new stuff.

The dynafiber booms will either work great or get all sandy and corroded
and die. I don't see much middle ground there.

The fiberspar front end explanation (dynafiber and gulftech use the
same front end) was at first reassuring. They get to cut every bad
front end apart and examine them, etc. I was looking at a old
broken front end that was lying on the floor of my living room and
I noticed that the break was nowhere near the place where the
swaging was not concentric, and then I couldn't really see it - the
explanation didn't make as much sense as it had on Saturday night.
I got my new Fiberspar warranty front end on Saturday, so the experiment
is on, because if anyone is going to break them I will.

Did I hear the fiberspar guy say that the were not going to make the
Needle mast anymore? Not enough of them broke?

Windsurf hawaii guys said they have been tweaking their new booms and
they will be very cool next spring (actually told me to wait a few
months to buy!)

Windwing cut the number of sail lines to 4 - race, black diamond sl,
twin cam sl, and the wavey/B&J looking sails called the
black diamond interface, probably to be known worldwide as the
black diamond inyourface. They have lots of sizes, making sail
buying decisions either easier or harder, not sure which.

Lots of people in the booths were trying to get me excited about
windsurfing celebrities. Maybe I am weird, but my sailing experience
does not really depend on the sailing experience of others no matter
how good they are. To find sailors better than me, all I have to
do is drive to any sailing spot around, not a huge deal. I love this
sailing thing and I am going to try to get better than I am, not better
than Robbie. After about the third person said "Bjorn is here!", I said
to him "If he is really lucky he will get to meet ME." (he didn't).

Jay