Re: AWIA show

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Oct 17 1995 - 08:43:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 08:43:57 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: AWIA show

> From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> The other interesting development in booms was from Dynafiber. I have
> always hated spring button booms - I find them painful to adjust
> and prone to jamming. Dynafiber found that they were the weak point
> of their carbon booms - in a hard crash, sometimes the buttons would
> "zip" through several holes, even if the boom arms didn't break.
> Their new adjustment scheme is based on compressing rubber stoppers
> attached to each end of the boom's rear end piece. The compression is
> done by cables controlled from a knob all the way at the back. It
> seemed to be strong and easy to use.

This new rear end adjustment will also retrofit their older booms with
spring pins. I plan on converting mine this winter.

> I grilled the Dynafiber folks on reliability and their president claimed
> less than 2% warranty rate and only one boom-head failure on any of
> their booms, ever. Nevin later pointed out that they are using the same
> boom head, and suggested the reason for so few failures was that
> Dynafiber's volume was only a few percent of Fiberspar's, but from the pile of
> booms for repair at ASD, it looked to me like Fiberspar's warranty rate is
> more than 10-20%. So the marketing war of words rages on.

I've used mine all summer this year without a glitch. The only problem I
had with mine is that the boom head was mounted upside down. More of an
anoyance, but it did make threading the boom onto my sail difficult. When
I was up in the Gorge this last summer, I stopped by and talked to them about
it, and they were suprised that it had been mounted like that, and replaced
it for me (new boom), on the spot! Now that's service!

> In general, it was a good show and I liked talking to all the manufacturers.

I wish I could have been there (although I would have probably been a little
less polite to Nevin Sayer:). I had my knee surgery on Saturday, so I'll be
off the water for a while. Scheduled it though so I will be back in action
for next season.

See you all out the water next year!

~Jim Paugh