3rd on Thursday

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 22 1995 - 10:58:13 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd on Thursday
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:58:13 -0700
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

At 4:00 it seemed like there was >15kts and a bit of ebb left so I
headed out to 3rd. Saw it was light but sailable, rigged a 5.6 race,
Tiga 260, big fin, hit the water about 5:00. On and off to the channel,
powered in the deep water. Bigger folk were complaining about fins
hitting sand bars, but I was O.K. Had trouble getting up wind due to
being just barely powered, I missed most of the ebb. Was under to
powered in the channel for over an hour, always planing, before deciding
to do the big slog. At one it seemed that I was the only one out in the
channel which made me nervous, so I started to head in. A few brave
souls made it through the slog zone before I made it out of the channel
so I did a few more reaches.

There were good swells for turning in the channel. Made my first
clew-first water start after blowing a jibe. I'd tried that before but
somehow it just worked this time. Usually I give up and just flip the
sail and waterstart normally, but this time I pointed the board much
further off the wind then I had before and zip, up I went, flipped the
sail, and I was off. Much less work than flying and flipping the sail
while my body is in the water. Stoked.

-- Jack

140lbs, Tiga {260, 254}, Sailworks Race {5.6, 5.1, 4.6}, 3rd ave.
http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg/windsurf.html