Re: The ultimate safety kit

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 15 1995 - 22:55:32 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 22:55:32 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: The ultimate safety kit

> > I've always wondered if I could swim back to the launch at 3rd from the far
> > side of the channel. Especially in really big chop in just a shorty. I
>
> Unless you have a really unique metabolism, you would be hypothermic
> in about 30 minutes. The swim would probably take you the better
> part of four-to-six hours.

I think Will is right, within a factor of two or so. The day I found
Mark in the channel at 3rd, he was wearing a short-sleeve/full-leg suit.
He was in the water a total of about 2 hours, by which time he was
showing early signs of hypothermia (visibly shaking and uncoordinated).
This was in June, and he is a pretty big guy. A smaller person or a
shorter wetsuit would cut the time.

Because of this, I wear my 4/3 mm suit year-round - I just let some
water in at the neck on the rare occasions when I get too warm. Since
heat loss though the head can be large, I carry a full hood, too. The
day I spent 3 1/2 hours bobbing, I was just starting to feel cold.

"The most dangerous thing ... is to be ... without wind."
                                        -- Tristan Jones