Coast Reports

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Sep 15 1995 - 21:58:08 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 21:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Coast Reports

Thursday
=========
I got a call thursday afternoon from "His Lloydship", the proprieter of
one of our two fine shops here in Marin. He says the coast is crankin and
he got another shipment of Naish Nalus. "What color?" says I, and head
right over. By 3:30 I've retired the venerable Waddell XTs and I'm on the
road to Stinson Beach.

But Stinson wasn't quite cutting it. Onward - it's late but I'm out here
already, I'll go check that secret spot, at least LOOK at it. But as I
wind around Bolinas Lagoon, I see whitecaps. The tide is high now,
that's good, the wind and water are warm, and if I go for it NOW I can
get some sailing in. I pick a launch just south of Audubon Canyon Ranch
and rig just a few steps from the van. 4.7/8'8" and I blaze away, then
hit three duck jibes in a row - DJ has been my project this year and
they're comming together now.

Another sailor soon stops and rigs, while many other folks pulled over to
watch for a few minutes. We sailed for an hour, then got out before the
water went away. Shallow spots were scratching fin tips. Better land
flat when you crash...

On the way home I resolved to make a point of sailing new spots from now on.
At home Tony called and told me Waddell had swell. Made an appointment.

Friday
======

Bailed work about noon and headed south. Fog all the way to Waddell. The
creek looked kinda lame so I kept going - tony had suggested Scott's, but
it had a nasty kelp bed just downwind of the wave, and I wanted to sail
another new (to me) spot, so Davenport gets the call. 4.7 again, but the
8'2" today. The waves were chest high at the most. Crowd started small
and just kept growing - got real intense between 4-5pm. I was in the peak
with a sailor both upwind and downwind of me several times, but everbody
was watching out for each other pretty well - no bad crashes. One guy did
force me too far inside where my fin kissed a rock, and it seemed like
there were downed sailors and waterstarters all over the inside.

Was a real fun day.

Bob Galvan
kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis