RE: fake news and the SFBA newsletter

From: Dag Johansen (Dagj@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 21 1995 - 12:01:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 12:01:39 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Dagj@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Dag Johansen)
Subject: RE: fake news and the SFBA newsletter

>I completely disagree. Based on past history (anyone remember the
>"Skeeter Eater" article?)

But there is a big difference. That article only wasted a small
part of my brain and made me look bad if I repeated it. OTOH, the
possibility of someone driving around looking for a non-existent
site is much worse.

Remember that people join and drop the mailing list all
the time. People also don't read every article. If the mailing
list is a big game where I have to carefully read every article
to determine wheter it is a hoax or not, please remove me from
the mailing list.

>I suspected Luigi's ploy at the time, and sent
>him mail to that effect at the time.

Why didn't you tell the rest of us then?

>I don't think that creative
>imaginations should be stifled, just because some folks can't take a joke.

Great, let him post to rec.humor, but don't fucking waste my time.

>I think the SFBA fucked up by not checking it out (i.e. reading the Merc.)
>before publishing it.

Sure they did, but that does not excuse the orignal posting to
the mailing list.

>Everyting should be taken with a grain or salt
>(no pun intended), and that includes anything posted on this list, rec.wind,

I sure do. I read all sorts of advice that I think is bad, but at
least it is honest. But to intentionally mislead is much different.

I also don't buy the excuse "I didn't think anyone would take it
seriously." . . . if you really thought that, they you would not
have posted it since it would not have the intended effect. Obviously
a lot of people didn't realize it was a hoax.

If you want to post a hoax, at least admit it is a hoax AT THE END
OF THE ARTICLE.

It is obviously very easy to pull hoaxes on the Internet, don't
think your some comedic genius. (The "email" virus, the 10 cents to
charity per email, etc. etc.) But you'd think that people get
would get bored of it. But no . . .

           -Dag

                -Dag

Dag Johansen
Blakely, Sokoloff, Taylor & Zafman Phone: (408) 720-8598
1279 Oakmead Parkway Fax : (408) 720-9397
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 WWW : http://www.bstz.com/