RE: fake news and the SFBA newsletter

From: Dave Hoagland (hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 21 1995 - 11:14:36 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 11:14:36 PDT
From: Dave Hoagland <hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: fake news and the SFBA newsletter
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:02:54 -0700 Edward W. Scott wrote:

>I completely disagree. Based on past history (anyone remember the
>"Skeeter Eater" article?) I suspected Luigi's ploy at the time, and sent
>him mail to that effect at the time. I don't think that creative
>imaginations should be stifled, just because some folks can't take a joke.

Hey, I like a good joke as much as the next person and enjoy reading
humourous material on the net. I am sure Luigi is a fine guy and I don't
mean to get on his case too badly here. It's unfortunate that this joke
ended up in the newsletter. I am a little sensitive to this because on
Saturday I was talking to someone who was complaining about the
newsletter and talking about cancelling his membership. The SFBA
has done a LOT of work on our behalf at Crissy, has great parties
etc., all on a very low budget. I am very appreciative of their work and
took exception to his referring to them as 'doofuses'. I am not familiar
with Luigi's history of postings but the story in the newsletter wasn't
particularly funny and was not at all obviously a parody. They got
suckered and Luigi rightfully apologized for it , albeit in a backhanded
sort of way. Just don't rag on the SFBA, you can hardly expect them to
function as professional journalists in addition to protecting our
access interests etc. That is my point here and I think that is about all
I have to say about it. No big deal, lets go sailing.

Name: Dave Hoagland San Francisco Newspaper Agency
E-mail: hoagland@sfgate.com-DeleteThis Tel (415) 477-7422
08/21/95 11:14:36