Treasure Island [was: Re: Anybody sail Crissy yesterday? -Reply]

From: Jonathan Hahn (hahn@and.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 18 1995 - 12:26:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 12:26:12 -0700
From: Jonathan Hahn <hahn@and.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Treasure Island [was: Re: Anybody sail Crissy yesterday? -Reply]

> From: Tom Slattery <TSlattery@macromedia.com-DeleteThis>

> I did see three Windsurfers powered up between Alcatraz and Treasure
> Island. Is it possible to launch from T Island?
>
> TS

This very thought occurred to me (they occasionally do) and I
investigated about two weeks ago. TI is a Naval base with resticted
access; apart from that, I didn't know anything else about it.

There's a museum just past the gate which is open to the public
during business hours, but it's not clear that you can park inside
the gate. I drove onto the base and no one stopped me, but on the
way out, I asked and was told it's not open to the public and
windsurfing is not allowed. I would tend to believe this. The
Navy is only slated to be there another two years or so. After
that time, it will probably not be restricted.

The island itself is a large finger of land sticking out into the
bay. (where did all that fill dirt come from?). Around the whole
island, access to the bay is over large rocks, but nothing worse
than at Sterling Suites (which is not saying much). We did find a small
boat launch at the north end.

It offers a variety of condtions (on-shore, side-shore and off-shore)
and one of the best views of SF you can imagine. There is ample
parking (depends on how crowded it might get).

I'd be interested in hearing any other info people have...

-jon