Re[2]: Wanted / for sale / advice

From: sdubois@ADVENT.COM-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Aug 02 1995 - 14:55:45 PDT

Date: Wed, 02 Aug 95 13:55:45 PST
From: sdubois@ADVENT.COM-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, cmacwill@ADVENT.COM-DeleteThis
Subject: Re[2]: Wanted / for sale / advice

, 2 Aug 1995, Andrew Davidson wrote:

> > Wanted, free advice:
> >
> > I just got into my foot straps a couple months ago. I sometimes have a
> > problem (depending on wind conditions and on which sail I use) of not
> > being able to feel "balanced": I have to lean toward the front of the
> > board, as if I'm on a close reach or as if I'm trying to get through a
> > lull, even though I'm on a beam reach and I'm fully powered. My front
> > knee is bent, my back knee straight. I'm fine if I take my front foot
> > out of the strap and move it forward, then I can lean back more and my
> > weight is balanced evenly on both legs. I'm also fine if I head
> > downwind on a broader reach.

I don't think this is an uncommon problem for many intermediate sailors. I
remember going through a similar phase. I'm not sure exactly how I resolved the
problem but I think it could be caused by sinking your rail too much. Try to
keep the board as flat and steady as possible by putting pressure on the straps.
If you put your weight on the inside rail too much, your board will want to go
upwind, which you will naturally compensate by leaning forward, giving you this
uncomfortable unbalance feeling.

Hope this helps
- Stephane/sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis